Saigon City Hall, known as the Ho Chi Minh People’s Committee since 1975, is one of the most striking buildings in Ho Chi Minh City.
Saigon City Hall is not open to visitors, however, you can view the exterior of the building which is located at the north end of Nguyen Hue Walking Street near to both Saigon Opera House and Saigon Central Post Office.
About Saigon City Hall
Saigon City Hall was constructed over a 6 year period from 1902 to 1908, opening as the Hotel de Ville or City Hall in 1909. Designed by French architects working for the colonial government of Indochina, the building bears a close resemble to City Hall in Paris which had itself been recently reconstructed following being deliberately burnt to the ground in 1871. Like Paris City Hall, Saigon City Hall has a central clock tower flanked by turret like roofs on each side.
Saigon City Hall is 80 metres long with a a footprint of slightly over 20 square metres. The building is of an equivalent height to a five storey house and contains over a 100 rooms connected by wide corridors.
Following Reunification in 1975 Saigon City became the headquarters of the Ho Chi Minh People’s Committee and a statue of Ho Chi Minh was installed in the public area in front of the building. The Ho Chi Minh People’s Committee is responsible for governing the city, which in effect means that Saigon City Hall is still being used for the purpose that it was originally intended even if the name has changed.
Location of Saigon City Hall
Saigon City Hall is located 3.8 km from Saigon Railway Station.